I guess the title says it all. I have been blogging for 2 years! What started out as dabbling in social media has become a habit (nearly). There have been a total of 63 posts, with a cumulative readership of almost 28,000 page views. Typically I get about 200 visitors a week looking at over 400 pages. Your interest and support totally astounds me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I really need to thank my employer, Command Alkon, for providing me with the opportunity to write this blog. A good portion of what I write has nothing to do with our product line, but I hope it is of use to our customers – the concrete producer.
Most of the past year’s posts have had to do with my series “Concrete Mix Design: Art and Science”. Many of those articles have had over 500 page views, with some going up to over 1,000. There has been a lot of interest in this topic. So far I have almost completed the section on proportioning aggregates. After I am through with those topics I will go into proportioning paste, followed by other topics I have in mind. Ultimately when I am finished with the series I would like to assemble it into an e-book, but who knows how long from now that will be.
In addition to the blog I have been involved in other things. Last year an article I wrote on “Profiting from Concrete QC” for The Concrete Producer was recognized as the Top Business Story by that magazine and cited as one of the 10 most-read articles for the year. Also, I have been involved in doing presentations for various association groups, including a couple of videocasts for conferences in India. And of course I have been working to improve our COMMANDqc quality control software and help our users be more productive using it. http://www.commandalkon.com/qualitycontrol.asp
Over the coming year I have a lot planned, including presentations at the NRMCA Concrete Sustainability Conference in Boston and the next ACI Convention in Washington, D.C. I’ve also launched a service helping concrete producers get the most out of their QC departments. For more information about that check out http://www.commandalkon.com/jayshilstone.asp . I’ll be teaching at our regional training conference in San Francisco in a couple of weeks. http://www.commandalkon.com/rps/sf/index.html
So once again let me thank you for reading my blog and contributing your ideas and comments. I hope that together we are making the concrete world a better place. I like to think that my father would be proud of what we have accomplished together.
As with last year’s anniversary post, here is a summary of my posts over the past year:
4/22/13 – “Performance Concrete – The Next Steps”
5/7/13 – “That’s Not My Job!”
10/29/13 – “2013 Fall Industry Meetings”
12/5/13 – “Just topped 20,000 views!”
12/30/13 – “2013 – The Concrete Year in Review”
12/31/13 – “Shilstone QC article makes ‘Top 10′”
2/17/14 – “Big happenings in the concrete world!”
Here is the Table of Contents for the series “Concrete Mix Design: Art and Science”
- Introduction – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/06/03/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-introduction/
- Specifications –
- Aggregates –
- Paste –
- Aggregate Packing vs. Combined Grading – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/07/30/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-aggregate-packing-vs-combined-grading/
- Introduction to Particle Packing – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/08/12/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-introduction-to-particle-packing/
- ACI 211 and Particle Packing – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/08/26/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-aci-211-and-particle-packing/
- Joe Dewar on MixSim – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/09/09/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-joe-dewar-on-mixsim/
- Ternary Packing Diagams – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/09/23/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-ternary-packing-diagrams/
- Particle Packing Hits the Wall – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/10/21/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-particle-packing-hits-the-wall/
- Calculating a Combined Aggregate Grading – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/11/04/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-calculating-a-combined-aggregate-grading/
- Combined Fineness Modulus – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/11/18/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-combined-fineness-modulus/
- Coarseness/Workability Factor – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/12/02/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-coarsenessworkability-factor/
- Mortar Factor – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2013/12/16/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-mortar-factor/
- The 0.45 Power Chart – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2014/01/13/concrete-mix-design-art-and-science-the-0-45-power-chart/
- Mix Suitability Factor – http://www.commandalkonconnect.com/2014/03/10/concrete-mix-desgin-art-and-science-mix-suitability-factor/
My best to you all. As always, please let me hear your comments and ideas.